|Quest for Glory: The Authorized Strategy Guide|
|Author(s)||Paula Spiese with Lori and Corey Cole|
|Publisher(s)||Prima Computer Books/Sierra On-line|
|Release||February 21, 1994|
Quest for Glory: The Authorized Strategy Guide is an official strategy guide to the first four games of the Quest for Glory series. It was written by Paula Spiese with Lori and Corey Cole and published by Prima.
It is unique compared to other official Sierra Quest for Glory hint books in that contains the events of first four games in novelized format. The narrative begins with a prologue set in Willowsby the home town of series protaganist Devon Aidendale and his journey to Spielburg through the Spielburg Pass. The prologue is followed by four parts each corresponding to a different game in the series.
- "The exciting combination of fantasy story and practical walk-through not only makes this book enjoyable to read, it also gives all the answers, tips, and strategies that any adventurer would ever need to know. Plus, the book includes original fantasy drawings of the exciting characters and events."
- "This is the only officially authorized strategy guide to the Quest for Glory series. Don't try to be a hero without it!"
Behind the scenesEdit
- Quest for Glory: The Authorized Strategy Guide was apparently co-written by Paula Spiese and Lori Ann Cole (Corey Cole had limited input).
- The Quest for Glory series, including Willowsby and Devon Aidendale became canon after they were published by Sierra Online (currently owned by Activision). According to Corey Cole the hero's name and the name of his village is not given to allow players to choose their own backstories.
The novelization for QFG1 is based on the remake of QFG1. For example Sam is described much as he appears in the remake.
It is rumored that there was an earlier edition from Jan 1992 that includes only So You Want to Be a Hero & Trial By Fire. Although this is unconfirmed, and the 1994 release makes no note of any previous editions. Amazon suggests that this previous book, Quest for Glory: The Authorized Strategy Guide for "So You Want to be a Hero" and "Trial by Fire" was written by another author, Carol Ann Henshaw.
According to Corey Cole, he believes Carol Ann Henshaw sounded familiar, and he vaguely remembered a guide for 1 and 2 (but that Lori did not remember anything), but other than that he doesn't remember anything more. If it exists its possible that the two publications were not related at all. Note: There is only one version by Paula Spiese that includes 1-4, QFG5 was part of an entirely different book (and not written as a novel)
The description on Amazon includes; "The exciting combination of fantasy story and practical walk-through not only makes this book enjoyable to read, it also gives all the answers, tips, and strategies that any adventurer would ever need to know. Plus, the book includes original fantasy drawings of the exciting characters and events." The earlier edition may have only seen a UK release by Boxtree (a british publisher, and there is no evidence or information of a US release).
(Note: Amazon UK is mistaken; at least that it mixes up the ISBN and at least some other details with the Paula Spiese book).
The later book may not have seen a UK release at all, and not necessarily by Boxtree.
Strangely enough, the chapter for QFG3 in the 'walkthrough' section, mentions to keep an eye out for Quest For Glory IV (it was released about the time the book was released), and Quest For Glory IV section has no straight walkthrough chapter like the previous chapters. This appears to suggest that the book possibly was originally going to be released with only the first three games included, and the 4th was put in at the last moment.
- ↑ "...the strategy guide she co-wrote with Lori."
- ↑ "Our main objection to the Spiese book is that the Quest for Glory hero is supposed to be a reflection of the player. When Paula named her hero as Devon Aidendale, that became canon. We would have preferred he remain simply The Hero. But that's a trivial quibble."-Corey Cole
- ↑ From the back matter: "This is the only officially authorized strategy guide to the Quest for Glory series. Don't try to be a hero without it!"
- ↑ "And by the way, mentions of "Devon Aidendale" and Willowsby (or Willowdale or whatever the name was) drive me crazy. Devon was just the name Paula Spiese chose for her QG hero, and she used him in the strategy guide she co-wrote with Lori. Those names have no "official place in the canon", except of course they've been enshrined on Wikipedia because they're part of a published book." "We did not name the hero, nor his starting village, for a reason. We wanted every player to imagine their own hero's background so that the player would really become a part of the story. So it's frustrating when I see other people adopt Paula's fantasy as their own. Still, if that makes the game more fun for you, go with it!"
- ↑ http://yois.if-legends.org/books.php
- ↑ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quest-Glory-Authorized-Strategy-Guide/dp/1559581581/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
- ↑ Carol's name sounds familiar, but no, she is not Lori or Corey. I found her on Facebook and asked her if she ever worked on a QG guide. As far as we know, there is the guide for QG 1-4 by Paula Spiese with our help; and a later update that added QG 5. I thought I vaguely remembered a guide for 1 & 2, but Lori does not. All of the illustrations on the Amazon page show the Paula Spiese book.