Al Scurva was the former apprentice of Ad Avis, and has a similar temperament: he is self-serving, aggressive and rude. He was transformed by Ad Avis into a chimera-like creature for an unknown infraction and left to die in an iron cage in the desert.
The Hero frees him through use of a Dispel potion after being told of his location by the Dervish. Al Scurva is not grateful, insisting that the hero will receive no reward and that Ad Avis will now be watching him (introducing the hero to the figure of Ad Avis for the first time), before teleporting away.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Al Scurva is an in-joke reference to Sierra employee Bill Scurvin.
- Al Scurva apparently has studied hypnotism under Ad Avis, and is still capable of it (at least to a limited degree) even while in beast form.
- Since Ad Avis' transformation spell changes people into forms that most represent their soul, Al Scurva is clearly not a stable or pleasant man.
- The Beast appears on the 12th day, two screens north and several screens west from the oasis.
- The appearance of the beast is a very obscure puzzle in the game. The Hero can discover him only if he happens to visit the Dervish on day 12. Since there is no alert, hint or other reference to Scurva in the game, the beast can be considered a "bonus" quest. Therefore, it is possible to complete the game without meeting and rescuing Al Scurva.